Doing Our Duty

Doing Our Duty
by Marvin N. Miller

As most of you know, America in Bloom is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization. As such, the organization cannot have any real opinions of its own. Yet, it is obvious to those that know us, that our organization does promote environmental awareness (one of our judging criteria), and we like to encourage the plantings of trees, shrubs, turf grass, and other groundcovers, as well as flowers. These pro-environmental leanings could label us in some circles, as having a certain political bias. Yet, it is the efforts that the citizens of our cities undertake when they enter our recognition program (working towards that common beautification goal), that makes them a united community. That, by itself, leans neither to the right nor the left.

Contrast this, for a moment, with the environment in Washington, D.C., as of late. Many pundits have noted the current environment in Washington is less than cordial. I personally feel it is the worst working environment I have seen in the more than 25 years of treks I have made to the Hill.

You see, one of the things I get to do in my real “work-life” each year, whether I want to or not, is to go to Washington, D.C. I sometimes visit with folks at the U.S. Department of Agriculture and its various agencies, and I annually visit with the Illinois delegation of Senators and Representatives and their staffs. In my non-AIB work-life, I am active with the government relations programs of three industry organizations. (Incidentally, these organizations have been regular AIB contributors.) I currently serve on the government relations committees of two of these organizations and have served on another in the past. I guess being an industry statistician makes me popular when folks want to press a point about the industry’s size and importance.

Politicians who have co-sponsored certain bills in the past tell me there is no way they could even consider sponsoring the same bill today in the current Congress. I often wonder how the peer pressure from party leaders can be stronger than the pressure from constituents back home. And I wonder if it’s their spine or their ego that is the most fragile body part.

Leaders need strong spines, even if it costs them popularity points! Constituents need even stronger spines to reign in wayward politicians and to make sure their opinions are heard and acted upon.

Even in my AIB-life, I often interact with politicians. Most of the municipal leaders we see in our America in Bloom cities are elected officials. (I know many of the readers of this e-newsletter are among this group.) These mayors and city councilmen generally have their ears-to-the-ground when it comes to local situations. They are the ones who tell us how rewarding it was to be involved with America in Bloom and what it has done for their cities by building “true community.” I often see these municipal leaders when I help staff the AIB booth at the National League of Cities’ Congress of Cities Exposition each fall. I look forward to meeting some of these mayors at our Symposium, later this week. And we even have a former mayor and a sitting mayor on the current AIB Board of Directors.

An issue that many speakers bring up at the National League of Cities meetings is the feeling of a disconnect between what goes on in Washington and what happens on Main Street U.S.A. I am sure many Americans feel this disconnect as well between what folks feel and how they perceive Washington is or isn’t reacting to their real needs. Certainly, many of the protests across America in the last year have been based on the notion that politicians need to understand the real needs people have, and “wake up to this reality.”

These concerns arise not only because it is the election season. While I am not naïve enough to expect every “promise” made on the campaign trail to be fulfilled, I do like to consider whether my elected representatives made good faith efforts to get things done and whether those efforts really align with my personal thinking. Coincidentally, a powerful motive I have is for politicians to work together with other legislators to get things done. (This reminds me of citizens working together for America in Bloom!) When efforts more often are in conflict, the politicians usually do not get my vote.

I try to get to know my elected officials. I tend to have a feeling of where they stand on the issues of importance to me. When I do not know where a candidate stands, I do the research, which may include a web search or writing the candidate for an opinion. I believe my duty is not only to cast a vote on Election Day, but also to know for whom and for what I am voting. Even if it wasn’t almost time to go to the polls, it is always time to continue my efforts to know where the candidates stand and to try to persuade them to support my views on the issues.

During a recent visit, I was told by a representative that we would not discuss a certain issue. While the politician certainly does not have to agree with my views on a certain topic, to not even listen to where a constituent is coming from, suggests to me that this politician really cannot be representing me. Ultimately, this is a quick route to not getting my support.

So, my plea to those who don’t like the current political situation is to do a little research. Consider contacting a representative to find out exactly where he or she stands. Consider the opponent as well. Determine who might be more likely to support your interests. And then please remember to vote on Election Day! Even if the politicians don’t always match our thinking on every issue, at least in theory, they do represent us. And if they fail to do so, it is time to elect alternatives.

Oh, and remember the environment as well!
0 Responses