Symposium Spotlight: Longwood Gardens

By Laura Kunkle, AIB Executive Director

The annual symposium and awards program is one of the highlights of my year. For three days we celebrate the amazing ways that people are planting pride across America. As I mentally list the cities we’ve held the symposium since the first in 2002, I recall special moments from each. This year’s symposium October 2-4 in Philadelphia, is guaranteed to create special memories. I’m particularly excited about the event planned at Longwood Gardens on Saturday, October 4.

In 1906, Pierre du Pont, chairman of the Dupont Company, purchased the property and developed it into the world-class destination it is today with more than 1,000 acres of gardens, woodlands, meadows, and fountain displays.

Symposium attendees will have plenty of time to visit the gardens and get lost in the artistry. While I love the beauty of the outdoor gardens, my favorite part at Longwood is the Conservatory, which shelters 20 indoor gardens and more than 5,500 types of plants. I’m beyond thrilled that Saturday night’s awards gala will be in the Conservatory and that you’ll get to experience its majesty. It promises to be a magical experience – and if the 10,000-pipe organ is fired up you may not want to leave.


Please join America in Bloom in Philadelphia for the 2014 symposium and awards program.
0 Responses