My Favorite Time of Year

By Laura Kunkle, AIB Executive Director

Tomorrow morning, two co-workers and I will hop in a van crammed full of boxes, conference materials, and a lot of luggage (come on, it’s three women – we have a lot of luggage!), and will be driving to Holland, Michigan, culmination and celebration of the 2015 America in Bloom Symposium & Awards Program that begins on Thursday. It is the culmination and celebration for everything that AIB-participating towns have done to plant pride and prosper.

The annual symposium is my favorite part of serving as America in Bloom’s executive director. This is like all the excitement of the holiday season packaged up early and gifted to me in the fall each year.

If you’ve never attended a symposium, please consider this a personal invitation to join us. I think you will find yourself inspired by the innovative ideas that are shared during the symposium, and you will be grateful for the people you get to spend several days with as we celebrate excellence in AIB communities.

I have been involved in AIB since it was just an idea in someone’s head about what we could do to make America a better place to live, work, and play. What an honor it’s been to be involved from Day 1 and see how the organization has impacted communities.

Every year about this time, as we put the finishing touches on preparing for the symposium, I find my thoughts drifting to symposiums of the past. The first one in 2002 was in Washington, DC. We didn’t know what we were doing but we did it anyway and had a blast. Or in 2006 when we were in the quirky but amazing Eureka Springs, Arkansas and many of us dressed in Victorian-era clothing. Take a good look at that picture! In 2009 we all gained weight when we went to the symposium in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Or in 2013 when we enjoyed a one-of-a-kind Disney horticulture tour in Orlando. Oh, I can look back at each symposium and remember fondly the experiences we all shared.


And that’s why I’m looking forward to the next several days in Holland, Michigan, an All-American city that serves up the right balance of excitement and hometown comfort with a delightful Dutch accent. I know you will be as impressed with the town and people as I am. We’ve found a lovely community to serve as the host and backdrop for this year’s symposium and awards program. Amazing experiences await those who are coming to the symposium. I can’t wait to see old friends and make new ones as we celebrate heritage and cultivate the future. It’s my favorite time of year. See you soon!
0 Responses