"And You Shall Teach Them to Your Children"

By Marvin Miller, America in Bloom President

My first recollections of gardening were those of a first-grader. I distinctly remember helping my father plant and care for a row of tomato plants along the side of the house we rented. The plants were staked and tied with strips of old bed sheets. And as the plants got pollinated and tomatoes grew, I was there alongside my dad, helping to harvest the ripe, juicy fruits. Running that first big red tomato into the house to see my mother’s reaction was also quite the experience. I could say, “We grew this!” as if we had handled the bees, watered, and fertilized the plants and watched the fruit size up and ripen with 24-hour surveillance.

As I grew older, the house and garden changed to a slightly larger property, and I took over the responsibility of much of the gardening activity. I learned that Mother Nature was in charge, and that the garden was just part of a larger environment that, along with me, equally affected our success. But I still consulted with my parents, as the garden was often part of dinner or other conversations. But if asked, even today, how I got into horticulture, I go back to those first-grade experiences under my father’s tutelage. Though the biblical verse about teaching your children that “the Lord is One” is much more heady, I dare suggest that teaching your children to garden will have equally great rewards. Horticulture can certainly make for a great career! Yet, gardening can also provide for a life-long avocation, as well.

Recent market research, comparing gardeners to non-gardeners, has confirmed that gardeners are much more likely to have had parents who gardened. Indeed, in a recent study, 75 percent of gardeners reported their parents gardened, while only 58 percent of non-gardeners made the same claim about their parents. (I dare suggest than grandparents, too, can play a role, but this was not studied in this research.) Furthermore, gardeners reported helping their parents with the gardening activities, as children, 60 percent of the time; this compared with only 39 percent of non-gardeners, who said they, too, helped with gardening activities when young.

Finally, when gardeners were asked to classify themselves as enthusiastic versus casual  gardeners, 73 percent of those who claimed to be enthusiastic gardeners reported viewing gardening as a family activity, while 43 percent of casual gardeners preferred to garden alone.

Clearly, people garden for various reasons. Casual gardeners reported gardening for mostly
extrinsic reasons, claiming flowers and plants added beauty, improved curb appeal, and were a reflection of themselves. Enthusiastic gardeners were more likely to cite intrinsic values as their motivation, and claimed gardening reduced stress, was relaxing, connected them to nature, and expressed their creativity. Not surprisingly, enthusiastic gardeners tended to spend more time and more money on the gardening activities than did the casual gardeners.


Gardening can certainly provide rewards throughout one’s lifetime. As with most good things in life, having the right nurturing start can make all the difference in the world. A good beginning can create the passion needed to make gardening an enriching endeavor throughout one’s lifetime. Yet, I must ask if your city is doing all it can to portray gardening in a positive light? Is gardening part of the curriculum in your city’s schools? Is your own garden a positive reflection on your gardening values and passion?

Why not plan now to plant some pride in your community this year? There’s no telling what impact it might have on a first grader.
0 Responses