"I talk to the trees..."

By Marvin Miller, America in Bloom President

"Star Trails and Aurora Borealis"
Copyright 2014 by Beth Ruggiero-York
Used with permission
“I talk to the trees
But they don’t listen to me

I talk to the stars
But they never hear me

The breeze hasn’t time
To stop and hear what I say
I talk to them all in vain

But suddenly my words
Reach someone else’s ear
At someone else’s heart strings too

I tell you my dreams
And while you’re listening to me
I suddenly see them come true.”


These words, as sung by Clint Eastwood in the 1969 movie Paint Your Wagon, a remake of the Broadway musical of the same name by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe, captured my thinking during a recent snowshoeing trek in Alaska’s Denali National Park. Yet, as I trudged through deep snow, I couldn’t help but feel a connection to nature unlike the ones I experience during warmer times and with more assured footing. The quiet of winter, interrupted only by the crunching of snow beneath my marching feet, still offered the opportunity to reflect, in part due to the low angle of the sun in that northern latitude and the cold. The earth was blanketed with white. Evidence of man’s presence was hidden. And it was beautiful!

As I hiked, I couldn’t help but think about America in Bloom. I have often felt many of America’s communities look particularly glorious when blanketed with snow. While Winter isn’t the season for most flowers (Hellebores being one beautiful exception in many parts of the country), snow does both an exquisite job of outlining trees and of covering man’s sins. And the winter landscape, as alternately defined by a blanket of snow, offers new perspective and almost offers the landscaper the opportunity to begin anew.

Winter’s solace also offers an opportunity for introspection. Thoughts of what might have been and of what yet may be often converge during quiet moments. A clean slate. Virgin footsteps. Winter quiet. New perspectives. Fresh ideas.

Over the years, I can’t begin to guess how many people I personally have talked to about America in Bloom. I’ve talked about city beautification and community enhancement. I’ve talked about our judging criteria and a community’s constituent groups. I’ve certainly talked about the impacts flowers, plants, trees, and shrubs can have on one’s life and on a community’s well-being, attributes that go way beyond being pretty through economic, environmental, psychological, and sociological avenues. Conversations aside, this monthly e-newsletter directly reaches nearly 15,000 folks, and I know many of the recipients forward the newsletter to others, sometimes including entire association memberships or city administrations. And my conversations and writings have only joined the chorus of other volunteers who have shared similar messages with many cities, with many volunteer groups, and with countless others who have similarly shared their passions about America in Bloom. And yet, in the quiet of a snow-filled landscape, there is reflection, and you can’t help but wonder if anyone has heard the many stories that plants have to offer.

"Morning's First Light on Denali"
Copyright 2014 by Marvin Miller
Then almost suddenly, while still in Alaska, I received word that registration has closed for the thirteenth season of our National Awards Program. I am gratified to learn that 33 cities will be involved this year, an 18% increase over last year and our highest program enrollment in 9 years. We have 11 new cities in the program this year and 22 returning communities, testifying both to value we have brought to cities in the past and to the new opportunities we have yet to deliver.

Suddenly the doubt is erased. There is evidence that the message has been heard. Folks ARE listening. Dreams ARE coming true.

Winter is a great season to plan, and with the official advent of Spring over the next few days, we can hope that Winter’s solace and introspection will lead us all to knowing our dreams can come true.

“I tell you my dreams
And while you’re listening to me

I suddenly see them come true.”
0 Responses